About Pha That Luang (Great Stupa)
Pha That Luang, or the Great Stupa, is considered a Lao national symbol, with many references to Lao culture and identity. The current temple is a reconstruction, as the temple was destroyed during a Thai invasion in the 19 century.
The temple was originally built on top of a site that was first established in the 3rd century, when it was thought to have been set up by missionaries from the court of Ashoka in India. Lore has it that the temple held a piece of Buddha's breastbone. In the 13th century, the temple was covered into a Khmer temple. It was revised again in 1566, became covered by gold leaf in the 17th century, was destroyed in the Thai invasion of 1828, was restored by the French in the 20th century, and resumed its' 16 century form by a more thorough restoration.
The Great Stupa comprises a central stupa with three layers at 44metres in height that is then surrounded by smaller stupas.
Last edited on Jun 30, 08 6:24 PM.
Contributors: Show History
First To Review: Thai Pinoy P.
Apr 23, 2009
Pha That Luang is a Buddhist stupa in Vientiane, Laos. It was built in the 16th century under King Setthathirat. The architecture of the building includes many references to Lao culture and identity, and so has become a symbol of Lao nationalism.