About Temple of Literature
Built in 1070 by Emperor Ly Thanh Tong, the Temple of Literature (Văn Miếu-Quoc Tu Giam) is considered one of the most important historical sites in the Dong Da District. This well preserved building served as the site of Vietnam's first university, and was responsible for training students. Among the pupils were sons and daughters of high ranking dignitaries. The students' achievements over several centuries have been recorded on stelae, which are stone tabs. Later on, the building was later used by the French as their civil administration.
The Temple of Literature comprises 5 large courtyards, comprising several walkways, an examination room, a compound with a second floor known as the Poet's Balcony, several libraries, and a stone statue of Chu Van An, a revered teacher and former adviser to the emperor.
Parts of the complex were destroyed during the Vietnam War.
Last edited on Aug 18, 07 9:31 AM.
Contributors: Show History
First To Review: Reto G.