Few travelers make their way to Bayamon when visiting Puerto Rico, and those that do usually only make a brief stop to see the Universidad De Puerto Rico Recinto De Bayamon. Other destinations such as San Juan may be more interesting to visit in the area. Know something about Bayamon? Help us out by adding your favorite spots to this Bayamon travel guide.
Bayamón is known as "El Pueblo del Chicharrón" (fried pig skin city). The town was established in May 22, 1772 by Juan Ramírez de Arrellano. Bayamón derives its name from a local Indian chief Bahamon. However, others claim that the name came from the Taíno word Bayamóngo, which is the name of one of the rivers that cross the city.
Bayamón is part of the metropolitan area of San Juan and is the island's second most populous city. Bayamón is considered to be the most progressive city of the island.
Bayamón is best known for "los carritos de chicharrón", considered the best in Puerto Rico. Chicharron is made with different seasoned cuts of pork (also made with chicken) and deep fried.
There are many places to visit in Bayamon, including the Luis A. Ferré Science Park (Parque de las Ciencias) located on Route 167, this 42-acre science-themed park features museums, numerous playgrounds, a zoo, and an observation deck. It is the only place, outside of the United States, where you can find an exhibition of NASA rockets and rockets parts. Open Wednesday through Friday, from 9am to 4pm; Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, from 10am to 6pm. Box office closes 1-1/2 hours before park closing time; (787) 740-6868, (787)740-6878 and (787) 740-6871.
Another place is worth visiting is the City Hall, this building crosses over five lanes of highway. While walking through a connecting corridor, right above the road, pedestrians can see passing cars underneath.
Bayamón Central University was founded in 1970, and the town has a regional college of the University of Puerto Rico.
The Santa Cruz Cathedral was founded in 1772.
Buena Vista, Cerro Gordo, Dajaos, Guaraguao Abajo, Guaraguao Arriba, Hato Tejas, Juan Sánchez, Minillas, Nuevo, Pájaros, Pueblo and Santa Olaya.
15.5 miles *
28 minutes *
The city lies in a fertile valley in which sugar, tobacco, grapefruit, vegetables, and coffee are raised. The first hydraulic sugar mill on the island was built in Bayamón about 1548, and sugar has continued to be a valuable commodity. Sugar mills are among Bayamón's chief industrial establishments; others are iron foundries, brick yards, ice plants, dairies, and an oil refinery. Manufactures have included auto parts, machinery, precision tools, watches and clocks, canned foods, tin cans, tobacco products, clothing, and zippers. Merchandise is transported by truck to the Port of San Juan.
Bayamón territory is mostly flat because the city it is located on the Northern Coastal Valley, north of Aguas Buenas and Comerío; south of Toa Baja and Cataño; west of Guaynabo; and east of Toa Alta and Naranjito. Bayamón rivers include: Bayamón, Hondo, Minillas, Bucarabones and Cuesta Arriba.
There are many well-known "bayamoneses", among them: painter Francisco Oller, politician José Celso Barbosa, Francisco Manrique Cabrera, poet Virgilio Dávila, doctor and poet José Antonio Dávila, musician Braulio Dueño Colón, musician Jeśus Sanchez Erazo, musician Pedro Dávila Ortiz (Davilita), Gonzalo Núñez, Isabel Gutiérrez del Arroyo, Chuito el de Bayamón, and world boxing champions Hector "Macho" Camacho and Daniel Santos.