Community

Travel Forums - Sustainable Travel

Alternatives to buying bottled water
New Conversation

I'd love to help reduce the impact of my upcoming trip to Bali by not buying bottled water. I've started looking into water purification and it looks like there are tablets as well as whole water purification systems. For a few bucks I can get tablets but they sound like the water will be kind of nasty. The systems are rather spendy.

Have you ever used water purification systems? If so, what did you use? What would you recomend?

Can the tablets be taken on a plane? (I read somewhere that they are highly corrosive and can't be taken on a plane) Does the water taste better with the systems?

4 years ago
 Flag conversation
I remember watching a TED talk on water filtration and was really impressed with what some bottle filters can do.  I haven't tried the bottle filters yet, but was eyeing something like this for the next trip (when I get to go on one ;)

The Amazon reviews look pretty good, and since it all fits in a bottle you don't have to worry about a pump or anything.  I tried tablets before a while back on a camping trip and really didn't like the taste, but that was only one type and I don't even remember what brand it was.
4 years ago
 Flag message

I've used tablets before and didn't love the taste, but it wasn't unbearable. I know you're trying to save bottles, but one alternative to bad tasting water is to buy a single bottle of squash (concentrated juice mix) and use a splash of that to take the taste away. At least then you'll only have one bottle to dispose of in the end (one bottle of that stuff goes a long way!). I've seen people use the little individual Crystal Light packs too...again, there is waste associated with them, but not as much as a bottle.

You'll probably find you get used to the taste though. Tablets aren't that bad, so I'm sure the water purifier is much better! And I've taken tablets on the plane before...I'm sure with everything else that they search you for on planes these days those will be the least of your concerns! :)

4 years ago
 Flag message
I ended up using the SteriPen and it worked great. My husband and I each filled our Nalgene bottles 1-2 times a day and it worked great for the almost 3 weeks we were gone. Occasionally we bought cold bottled water but I felt so much better on my impact (or lack thereof) on the local environment. Had some tablets as a back-up but didn't use them.
3 years ago
 Flag message
In most parts of the world you can safely drink tap water..
2 years ago
 Flag message

Does boiling the water work? I usually try to boil up a kettle of water the night before and fill my water bottle the refridgerate if you can.

Bear in mind this is only here in Australia, I haven't travelled overseas yet.

2 years ago
 Flag message
Boiling water -- rolling boil for five minutes -- will work for getting rid of disease organisms. However, it will not work for getting rid of chemical pollution or radioactivity.
2 years ago
 Flag message